Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Slow Cooker Meal: Five Spice Beef Stew

I borrowed a cookbook from my mom to try to find some things to do with our slow cooker. We bought it for my baby shower to have this amazing cheesy beef dip our roommate used to make, and hadn't used it since. I loved being able to just throw all the stuff in the pot and walk away. I think I might try to make it a goal to have 1 slow cooker recipe a week, simply so I don't have to think too much about dinner.

Ingredients

2 pounds beef stew meat
1 pound baby carrots
2 cans diced tomatoes with onion
3/4 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon five-spice powder
Salt
Pepper


Procedure

1. Cut stew meat into 1 inch cubes
2. Add to slow cooker
3. Add tomatoes, broth, five-spice, salt and pepper
4. Stir together
5. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours

Pictures

 A slow cooker doesn't have to be high end. :)

Beef post cutting

After adding everything in

So....I might have forgotten to take a picture of it on our dishes

It was a bit of a hectic night as we're trying to really get Vince into a nighttime routine, so there were no pictures of it in our bowls. The stew had more of a soup consistency in my opinion, but I think adding some potatoes would have been just fine. It was also a bit more spicy than I prefer, so next time we'll only put in 2 teaspoons of the five spice and try from there.


Do you use a slow cooker? What types of food do you make in it?

No comments:

Post a Comment