Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Goal Setting: Commitophobia or Motivating?

I've never been one to set a number for my goals in weight loss and health. It's always been a very vague, "I want to feel good again," or "Be healthier." After some reflecting it seems to me that I'm afraid to commit to a number and fear failure. Pretty typical, huh? So it's time to bunker down and set some real goals.


We have a cousin getting married the first week of June in California. I would like to be down 15 pounds by then. I have 18 weeks to do this in, which means I can follow the no-more-than-a-pound-a-week-for-breastfeeding-moms advice I've received. It also gives me some wiggle room and I'm a fan of that. There's a vanity aspect of it, of course. I want to look good and feel good being out there, but there's more.


Remember those other cousins we went to Tahoe with last year? They also had a baby boy born exactly a month and a day before Vince. We're going to go camping with them in Yosemite following the wedding and take the boys. It'll be tons of fun and I'm really eager to be able to keep up with them. The snowshoeing really put into perspective how much more you can do when you are in significantly better shape. Plus! Yosemite has some awesome hiking trails and waterfalls off the beaten path that I want to visit.

So the goals:

1. Lose 15 pounds by the 1st of June
2. Be able to walk 5 miles in one instance.


Where I currently am on these goals:

1. I'm down 1 pound from my pre-pregnancy weight! Yay! 14 more to go!
2. I can easily walk 1 mile now and am starting to get into the grove of doing 1.5 miles.


It'll be tough, but I think I've got enough time to make it happen!

Do you set goals? How do you keep up with them?

2 comments:

  1. I started that HCG Diet the Monday after Superbowl, so a week today. I'm down 10 lbs. We also got a yr long family membership to our local Gym which has been SO much fun! T is 17 so ofcourse she does her own thing. Kobe works with Daddy, and Noah is my lil Partner! We go everyday after Allen gets off work. I TRY to make it to a few Kick Boxing Lessons and T and I hit up the Wed and Sat Yoga Classes. COULDN'T LOVE IT MORE! Love reading about your adventures in getting healthy too!!! Much Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. HCG worked really well for me when I first got pregnant. I dropped 5 pounds and didn't know why. Apparently it was the HCG kicking in!

    I love that you make working out a family thing. It probably helps a ton. I can't wait to take Vince to Yoga class. :)

    ReplyDelete