Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tomato Walnut Spinach Pasta

My mentor from childhood went vegan. I'm such an awful pupil that I didn't realize that she was vegetarian till a few months ago and last week she broke it to me that she went vegan. I didn't know what to say; more importantly I didn't know what to feed her. She assures me that she comes equipped with her own food, but in an Italian household that's unacceptable. You must feed everyone.

So I set off to troll the internet and figure out what I could make. I found this neat little dish and decided to use Marc as a guinea pig. I don't think he minded.

Ingredients

1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
Olive oil
1 cup onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried basil
2 large handfuls of spinach, chopped roughly
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped roughly
Pasta*

Procedures:

1. In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over low-medium heat
2. Sweat garlic and onions in pan (appox 5 min)
3. Add oregano, salt, and pepper
4. Stir well
5. Add tomatoes and basil, then stir
6. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer on low for 5 minutes
7. Start cooking pasta per directions on the box
8. Stir in walnuts and spinach
9. Cook 10 minutes 
10. Drain pasta
11. Combine and serve.


Pictures:

Sweating onions

Spices grouped together in the order they'll go in the pan.

After adding the oregano, salt, and pepper

Tomatos plopped in

After it all came together

Ta-Da! This is Marc's dish. It has cheese on top (Not very vegan)




And then we had some of this for dessert:



Overall it was really good. I think the spinach is really just there for nutritional value as it didn't contribute much to the flavor. Walnuts I'm pretty sure were for texture too as they also didn't add a whole lot flavor wise. I like experimenting with tomato sauce though. I'll need to tap my mom and get her recipe for the sauce she used to make.

*A note on the pasta and veganism: the pasta I'm familiar with is made with egg. I checked the box and the only listed ingredient was whole wheat flour with a note that it was made in a factory that uses soy and eggs, so I'm not sure if they used egg in it or not. Unless I've made it fresh without egg, I will assume it has egg in it.


Do you have vegetarian dishes you love? Have you ever tried to prepare foods for a vegan?

No comments:

Post a Comment