Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Meal Planning 101

Given our new situation I've pretty much taken over meal planning. It's easier to cross reference “super food” charts and the what-to-avoid charts all at the same time. I started to realize that I have “mini-rules” that are super helpful and thought it would be good to share.
  1. Don't repeat meats on consecutive days.
We don't have two chicken dishes, or two beef dishes back-to-back. It doesn't matter if the cut of meat is different – no back to back repeats!

  1. It must include a veggie that isn't potatoes

I LOVE potatoes, they are the most versatile vegetable in my opinion. But! They are also very starchy. It's best to have a wee bit of potato and a bigger portion of a different veggie.
  1. Rotation of veggies.

I generally don't like repeating vegetables. It becomes too redundant and therefore boring.

  1. There's a pasta dish.
It might be vegetarian or it might include some chicken. Either way..there is pasta once a week (and only once!) Consider it our Italian blood.

  1. There's one vegetarian dish each week.

Sometimes its the pasta, sometimes its a soup (garbanzo beans anyone?), this week...it will be falafel.

  1. Include breakfast, lunch and snacks into the planning.

It's easy to grocery shop and plan for the dinners, but then you get home and realize you don't know what to have for lunch. I use breakfast and snacks to get in my fruits. Otherwise, I don't eat enough of them.

  1. Be honest with how much effort you are willing to put into a meal.

Do you really feel like getting home from work and cooking that three hour meal? Yeah...I usually don't either. Save long prep time and active cooking times for the weekend.

When I make my grocery list, I also write down the dishes I intend to make. That way when I'm at the store I don't stop and ask myself, “Why did I put THAT down?” I also consider portions. It's much easier to control the portions you eat...if you don't buy extra. PLUS! It helps cut down on the grocery bill. Our local supermarket will break packages for you, including meat if you just ask. Keep in mind, a serving of meat is 4 ounces...and there are 16 ounces to a pound. So that 1 pound of hamburger meat, if 4 servings. :)

Also, don't be afraid to ask the butcher if he or she has any particular cut in the back if you don't see it on the shelves. Just because it's not out, doesn't mean it isn't available. He just might not have had time to get to it yet.

Above all else...be flexible. Sometimes that stew you intended to make three days from now, just isn't enticing when that day comes around. Maybe you had to work late and now you just want some canned soup, whatever. The point behind it is to have a plan, and do the best you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment